Mutual Aid Agency is not a typical insurance agency. We come from a rich tradition of community, mutual service, and a commitment to serving those in need. Our Brethren roots set us apart from other agencies, and we remain faithfully committed to our heritage.
Our mission goes beyond insurance. MAA stands ready to lend a helping hand, share resources and bear each other’s burdens during times of crisis. Our desire is to be something more than just our membership: we want to become mutual aid.
- The Brethren Mutual Aid Share Fund is a nonprofit corporation, created to assist congregations, camps and related ministries, who insure with Mutual Aid Agency, with the caring and sharing outreach they do within their churches and communities. MAA tithes to this fund annually to enhance the lives of others through this financial partnership.
- When persons find themselves in crisis -- be it sudden job loss, property destruction, burial expenses, medical bills, or other unexpected financial hardships -- their ministry may assist them through their benevolent giving. In doing so, the Share Fund promises to partner with the ministry by donating a matching financial gift.
- To be eligible, the ministry must be insured by Mutual Aid Agency and the request must be for the benefit of an individual or family.
- It is understood that in applying to the Share Fund, the congregation is agreeing to match an identical amount of funds for the concern. Proceeds from the Share Fund are not intended to reimburse or compensate the ministry for its contribution to the caring effort.
- Once an application has been submitted, an administrator of the Brethren Mutual Aid Share Fund reviews the request, and upon approval, matches up to $500 per eligible ministry annually.
- Why does the Share Fund operate this way, rather than receive applications straight from those in need? The Share Fund believes the church -- and specifically the congregation -- is the “most meaningful channel for decision making…where sharing within the church family takes on its deepest meaning.”
- The Brethren Mutual Aid Share Fund is a 501(c)3 corporation, funded by donations from caring organizations, churches, individuals and Mutual Aid Agency.
When you choose to insure with us, you are also choosing to support the Share Fund. MAA donates a portion of its profits directly to the Share Fund, which means that a percentage of your premium goes directly to those experiencing times of crisis.